Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Why Ruth Etting is cooler than you:
1. She ran away from home at seventeen and went to art school in Chicago.
2. She got a job as costume designer for the showgirls at the Marigold Gardens and ended up becoming a showgirl herself.
3. She married the infamous gangster "Moe the Gimp" in 1922.
4. She became part of the Ziegfeld Follies in 1927.
5. In 1938 Moe shot and wounded Etting's boyfriend Myrl Alderman, and was charged with kidnapping and attempted murder. On appeal he was released after only a year in prison.
6. Her film credits include 1929's Blue Songs, 1933's Roman Scandals and 1935's An Old Spanish Onion.
7. Doris Day played Ruth in a highly whitewashed film biopic called Love Me or Leave Me in 1955.
Listen: Ruth Etting - Thinking of You